The Manager, Communications establishes and manages the communications function at Seaspan as well as external communications and media relations for Seaspan ULC and our Marine Transportation group. The Manager, Communications should have a passion for storytelling as well as strategic, data-driven communications. This role will involve managing the needs of both internal and external senior stakeholders, including executives and media.
Additionally, this role provides strategic communications advice in support of employee engagement and change management in addition to supporting our Government Relations’ team and some external communications across our Marine group. The Manager, Communications will also play a key role in ensuring that internal communications efforts appropriately include and engage our various offices and sites.
The Manager, Communications reports directly to the Vice President, Human Resources. This position has one direct report and may also oversee the work of several external contractors and/or consultants.
Education and Experience
- Develops and and executes the internal and external communications strategy to ensure the communication of Company programs are consistently delivered and understood.
- Responsible for leading internal communications initiatives, including developing and implementing a strategic plan, measuring impact and effectiveness of internal communications, adapting internal communications to meet the needs of diverse audiences.
- Develop an external communications strategy that supports and aligns corporate and business unit engagement with communities, governments and other key external stakeholders.
- Issues & Crisis communications’ management—leads the planning, drafting and execution of crisis communication plans as needed, and change communication plans.
- Work with HR and leaders to develop our corporate and employer brand communications strategy. Develop messaging and content that helps bring to life our corporate story, externally and internally.
- Collaborate with Business Units to support the development and execution of site based communications and engagement strategies, ensuring mutual alignment between business units.
- Working with Human Resources and business units, coordinate the development of an internal communications approach. Ensure high quality initiatives and communications tools that support the culturally diverse workforce, keep the broader organization informed of key initiatives and updates, and ensure continuity of messaging across the Business Units.
- Manage and lead development town halls and employee events with involving members of the leadership teams.
- Design and execute innovative tactics to develop and distribute key messages and measures the effectiveness of key communications mediums.
- Analyzes employee feedback mechanisms and interpret data to recommend best practices and new approaches for internal communications.
- Supports and contributes to development and continuous improvement of the organization’s internal communications channels including intranet, digital boards, print, social media and all other electronic communications.
- Reviews communication across the organization to develop, maintain and communicate standards for communications, focussing on clarity, simplicity, style, consistency as well as brand identity and delivery.
- Guides the creation of communication materials, utilizing multiple channels and mediums (digital media, brochures, presentations, newsletters, surveys, posters, trade show collateral, video scripts, production storyboards, website).
- Manage, develop and support internal engagement initiatives in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Prepares key messaging for press releases including revising or creating marketing or communications’ material and assisting in external events when required.
- Has accountability for the company website and intranet content.
- Responsible for the delivery of internal events.
- Ensures the design of marketing materials including advertisements, marketing brochures, promotional items, exhibits and photography are in line with Corporate standards and brand.
- Manages vendor relationships specifically for communications but also relating to brand and image.
- Is accountable for developing and managing Seaspan’s corporate communications budget.
- A post-secondary degree in Business, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Human Resources.
- A minimum of 10 years’ of relevant experience in internal communications or media relations, particularly as a business partner.
- A strong background in public and media relations, ideally with a minimum of 4 years’ experience working in an externally facing media role for a large firm.
- Experience leading and developing internal communication programs and campaigns.
- Experience with change management and communication of large-scale initiatives across multiple internal target audiences.
- Established track record collaborating with and proactively supporting senior leaders on communication strategies and best practices; client service mindset and consultative approach.
- Supervisory experience.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Outstanding English writing and editing skills; ability to write for a broad spectrum of multi-media communications channels including multi-culture/lingual sensitivity.
- Proficient in web-based technologies as well as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe and Database Management.
- Ability to develop effective messaging and communication materials.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management capabilities.
- Works well under pressure and has the ability to meet strict, daily deadlines.
- Strong ability to develop and maintain relationships both internally with managers and employees and externally with outside vendors.
- Social media savvy with exceptional understanding of online communications tools and tactics.
- Deep understanding of the role of human communication in achieving business objectives.
- Strong motivator and advocate for the team, bringing a sense of “team first” to the table so the impact on the employee experience is cleanly understood.
- Innovative mindset – always looking for ways to improve how Seaspan communicates with and engages employees
NOTE: While we thank all Applicants for their interest, due to the anticipated volume of applications, we will initially consider qualified Candidates located within the Metro Vancouver area.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.