When a random defect is found in a fulfillment process, it is incredibly hard to find the source of the defect and correct the problem. For example, if you find a phone in a shelf that should have a toy. Our software figures out how that happened, whose mistake it was and what the right thing to do is. Our systems if we should update records to say that the shelf has a phone or if we should find the location where the phone is supposed to be and keep it there. Our services & systems also ensure that this event does not impact other processes or customers!
The solution to this problem involves complex graph and non-relational data models, very large scale graph traversal, heuristics, multi-device user interfaces, workflow engines and more.
Our team - the Inventory Quality team, is trying to solve the problem of finding root causes of defects, automatically resolving defects and reducing defects in the longer term. We are designing solutions which solve problems automatically and inverts the man-machine paradigm so that machines make decisions to allow people to do work correctly. This problem space is worth hundreds of millions of dollars and involves designing multiple services & solutions from grounds up. The team has already done ground breaking work in the past year and is looking forward to continue on that up-trend.
Every one of the millions of packages Amazon ships every day affects a customer. The quality of the delivery experience will decide whether the customer is delighted with Amazon, or whether they will choose to shop elsewhere. To be able to ship packages, Amazon has to accurately get items from vendors and sellers. Our team handles exceptions in the fulfillment process to make sure we are able to handle exceptions intelligently. Our systems are critical to Amazon's success: every aspect of the order fulfillment process interacts with our software, from supply chain planning to the application of the shipping label.
We are seeking an innovative, intellectually curious, results-oriented leader to serve as a Technical Program Manager in AFT.
As Technical Program Manager, your key responsibilities will include:
· Technical ownership of specific initiatives for this program.
· Work with customers to understand the business requirements and translate the requirements into technical/functional specifications for the engineers.
· Deal with ambiguity to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests; recommend alternative technical approaches and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines.
· Balance business needs with technical constraints.
· Work with operations engineering managers as well as other groups in Amazon to coordinate the technical development effort and business metrics; track/drive the project; manage the operational implementation process.
· Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management and make tradeoffs; encourage risk-taking behavior to maximize business benefit; identify interdependencies between concurrent IT projects to prevent downstream problems.
· Gain consensus on technical decisions and ensure that appropriate software engineering practices are employed to deliver high quality results.
· Work with both the Software and Operations teams to launch projects and provide ongoing technical support as appropriate.
· Evangelize within and outside Amazon to encourage a fast and smooth adoption of the services; be the primary conduit for gathering requirements for future enhancements; develop demos, sample and technical collateral as required.
· Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
· 5+ years related experience
· Experience managing multiple large, cross functional projects in a matrixed organization
· Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, leadership skills essential to successful program/project management
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to drive tough decision making, balancing business goals, technical implications, and time to market
· Ability to work independently, excellent problem solving skills
· Results-oriented person with a focus on delivery
· Deep hands-on technical expertise
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong business and technical vision
· Ability to handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment
· A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
· Professional and/or academic experience in data analysis, business intelligence, metrics, or similar
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.