The role of the Intermediate Unix / Linux System Administrator is to provide the System Support Services department with the skills and expertise required to effectively manage the operation and implementation of Unix and Linux server computing, Storage Management and VMWare environments. This position will also play a key role in the execution and continual development of operational processes that deliver high quality I.T. services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide Level Three technical expertise in support of Service Desk, Technical Services, and customers to resolve technical issues.
- Maintain documentation and procedures used by team members.
- Provides technical support for UNIX / Linux / VMware servers.
- Manages Storage Area Network.
- Writes and debugs scripts to automate tasks for Operations, developers and end users
- Installs/configures/supports operating systems and third party software on the UNIX / Linux platforms.
- Supports backup and recovery processes and technology.
- Provides on-call support (24 hours/day, 7 days/week) to Operations staff (e.g. file systems failures, script failures, daemons corrupt) on a rotational basis.
- Participates in new and ongoing projects as a representative of the UNIX team.
- Assists the Service Desk with end user account maintenance and resolving end user related problems.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Related experience and education is a must.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have attained a University degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- UNIX Systems Administration training courses (e.g. HP-UX, Red Hat Linux)
- Must work well in a team-oriented environment.
- Must have excellent problem solving abilities.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Must be customer oriented.
Alberta Blue Cross offers a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to work in a challenging team-oriented environment. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected. If you have the qualifications we are looking for, apply online at www.ab.bluecross.ca.